We are an equal opportunity employer
What our employees have to say:
"I feel good about working for W.C. Spratt. For me fine. I have stayed here for a long time and still feel good working here."
"I love working for W.C. Spratt. I've been here for 30 years and they been treating me real nice and everything. I love working here."
“Close to home. Plenty of hours.”
“I like the fact that 15 years working here never been unemployed or had a loss in time. Good company to work for. Good people to work around."
"I have been with Spratt for almost 10 years now. I enjoy working with Spratt. Everything's local. The guys I work with are great. I enjoy it. I like the crew. I like Spratt. They've treated me well."
“Just wonderful, love every minute of it. Close to home such good people and plenty of hours.”
“I like the teamwork. We all work together for the same goal. I enjoy my job every day.”
“It’s a good place to work”
"I love working with W.C. Spratt because I'm at a great group. They all work. This is the best thing that's happened to me so far since I have been in Virginia."
I have worked here for 10 years and it's like having a second family. Home away from home. The company is secure and growing in the right direction. The added bonus of being invested in the ESOP makes me feel more secure about my financial future and is a great benefit to have.
When I walk through those doors everyday, I know that I will be working with the Best People ever.
Apply in person at 491 Central Road Fredericksburg, VA 22401
Call with question or concerns at 540-373-2002
Fill out a contact form here.
Please click on your desired position below to view.
Industry: Underground Utility
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Fredericksburg, VA, USA
Recommended Education: High School Diploma
This position is responsible for processing accounts payable invoices by entering them into the pending file in Sage Accounting. Distribute job invoices to operations for approval and coding. After approval, finalize invoices by moving them out of pending in Sage Accounting, paying special attention to cost codes, equipment codes, and accounting date. Prepare the weekly list of invoices for payment for Staff Accountant’s review. Print and mail checks after each week. Reconcile vendor monthly statements. Reconcile uniform, health, and dental insurance with payroll deductions and update employee status as needed. Reconcile employee receivables to the general ledger monthly. Prepare bank deposits for accounts receivable. Special projects as they are assigned.
Essential Job Functions
- Prepare out-going mail (address & stamp)
- Distribute incoming mail and faxes promptly
- Monitor postage meter and order postage as needed
- Breakdown and enter fuel report into Sage Accounting
- Obtain fuel cards for vehicles
- Reconcile employee receivables to the general ledger monthly
- Reconcile employee uniform, health & dental, and AFLAC payroll deductions with vendor’s invoices
- Follow up with vendors on discrepancies after the above reconciliation ensuring the proper coverage
- Miscellaneous duties
- Balance Petty Cash
- Assist with job filing as needed
Accounts Payable Duties
- Enter invoices into Sage Accounting, as pending daily
- Distribute job related invoices to the administrative assistant for receiving ticket and purchase order matching
- When approved by project managers, check invoices, packing slips, purchase orders and supporting documents, then distribute to President for his review and approval
- Non-job related invoices for insurance and equipment (purchases and major repairs) distribute to controller for coding before sending to President for approval
- Follow up with any invoices returned unapproved from Staff Accountant
- When approved invoices are returned, move invoices in Sage Accounting from pending to open. Pay special attention to accounting date, job number, and cost code, equipment code, and approved amounts.
- If there is an amount discrepancy, follow up with vendor as required to process the invoice correctly and promptly
- Review employee deductions for garnishments with payroll administrator and process payments in accordance with court order
- Reconcile monthly vendor statements (do not pay from statements). If there are discrepancies, obtain missing invoices
- Each Thursday prepare the open invoice list for payments due through the following week. Verify selection with Staff Accountant
- After approval by Staff Accountant, print checks, make yellow copy and match up with invoices for signature of a Corporate Officer
- After signature, process checks for mailing, file paid invoices in vendor files
- For subcontractor checks, prepare lien release and arrange for signature
- Obtain W9’s and certificate fo insurance for subcontractors
- Prepare the 1099 annual list for Staff Accountant’s review and process forms
- Prepare bank deposits
- Make copies of all checks
- File a copy of checks with invoice in the job files
- Other assignments as required
- Must have a basic understanding of accounting principles and office procedures
- Must have the ability to deal with confidential information in a professional manner
- Must be able to perform data entry efficiently while paying attention to details
- Ability to use a 10 key calculator
- Demonstrate organizational skills and numerical aptitude
- Ability to use spreadsheet software (Excel) and word processing software (Word)
- Knowledge of Sage Accounting software a plus
- Prior Accounts experience is preferred
- 2 years experience in an automated accounting environment
- Construction experience a plus
- High School graduate required
Working Conditions/Physical Demands
- Work is performed in a professional group office environment
- Utilization of Personnel Computer and Computer Network systems
Applicant must have minimum of 3 to 5 years of progressive utility construction experience for work within 35 miles of Fredericksburg, VA.
Year round work, benefits and a retirement plan.
Successful candidate will: manage a crew installing underground water, sanitary and storm drainage systems, plan and work safely in deep excavations with shoring systems, work around existing utilities, install traffic control, have experience with: dewatering, bypass pumping, wet utilities, heavy equipment, line alignment and leak testing, and knowledge of local specifications, materials, and methods.
Skill needed to operate pipe laser and to read and understand engineered drawings and effectively calculate measure and apply grade information. Candidates must possess strong communication skills, be results oriented and be able to use a computer for daily record keeping.
Confined Space, Competent Person, and OSHA-30 Hour training and certification are a plus.
Competitive base salary with overtime allowance, company truck and a portion of medical/dental benefits paid for the employer.
Paid vacation, sick leave, 401K plan and short term disability insurance and life insurance are offered.
EOE/M/F/Disability/Vet and a Drug Free Workplace. Pre-employment drug test required.
W.C. Spratt, Inc. has an immediate opening for a Heavy Equipment Mechanic to handle the repair, service, and maintenance of heavy construction equipment. This will include basic repair knowledge and troubleshooting of electrical, electronic, hydraulic, powertrain, and engine components.
Heavy Equipment Mechanic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Late model mixed fleet including Cat, Hitachi, Komatsu and others
- Must be able to perform a variety of skilled duties which may involve inspection, diagnosis, troubleshooting, maintenance, and repair on heavy construction equipment
- Ability to understand and fill out service-related documents on an iPad in a timely manner
- Clean work area as necessary to maintain a safe work environment
- Meet all company and equipment related safety requirements
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Equipment Manager
- Familiarity with the construction industry and experience working near heavy equipment is a must.
- Read and interpret specifications and manuals
- Diagnose and repair a wide variety of mechanical, hydraulic, electronic and electrical equipment
- Ability to safely use hand and power tools and equipment
- Must be able to communicate effectively with supervisors and equipment operators
- Must exhibit a high level of safety consciousness and a clear understanding of equipment safety
Additional Duties and Responsibilities Include:
- Comply with all safety policies, practices and procedures.
- Report all unsafe activities to supervisor and/or Human Resources.
- Must be a self-starter and display a positive attitude and enhance our reputation.
Heavy Equipment Mechanic Requirements:
Education and Experience:
- 2-5+ years of experience as a heavy equipment/diesel mechanic
- Candidate shall be able to lift, push or pull and move up to 70 pounds and must be capable of kneeling, climbing, bending and twisting in various environments
- OTR Truck experience is a plus
Salary and Benefits:
We offer an excellent benefit package including:
- W.C. Spratt, Inc. is an employee owned company (ESOP)
EOE/M/F/D/Vet & Drug Free Workplace Contact: Doug Tait,email@example.com, 491 Central Rd., Fredericksburg, VA 22401, Phone: 540-373-2002 Fax: 540-373-1718